Friday, after an incredibly long work week, I got off work a few hours early. I picked up the Bean and we headed over to SanTan Village. She gets a kick out of looking at the puppies. Plus, the weather is near perfect and we can go for a nice stroll for plenty of people watching.
My brother and his wife and their almost-nine-month old daughter Vivia met up with us. Gem shared her snacks with her cousin and her tricks with her aunt and uncle. They left and Gem instantly crashed out her in stroller. I didn’t want to interrupt her nap so I wander around and looked at clothes.
Lincoln and I had made plans to go out for dinner and a movie on Saturday so I thought I might check out the clearance racks and get something new to wear. I like seeing the new trends on people but whenever I try them on I think I look like a fool. It’s always “if I was taller/thinner/younger”.
I’ve seen plenty of petite, curvy non-teenagers wear and rock plenty of the latest styles. But I just can’t do it yet. I feel stuck in between.
I tried Forever 21. They have way too many things crammed in that place, with practically no rhyme or reason to the layout. Plus, they music is waaayyy too loud. I’m shopping, not clubbing. Man, I am old. I’m amazed Gem managed to sleep through all that.
I tried Buckle. Good grief, those clothes are over-priced. I like their jeans, but for a simple shirt it was at least $30. And their “clearance” section, the sign said $5-$8. But once you got close enough, it really read $5-$8 off. Nope.
Then I wandered into American Eagle. I used to love their clothes my first few years at ASU. Comfy casual but still nice. Not sure what happened but they seemed really bare. They had practically nothing. Their clearance rack consisted of either size 12 or size 00.
I stopped in Charlotte Russe. 99% of the time I like their clothes. And 50% of the time the clothes like me back. Their denim is inexpensive and covers a range of sizes. But I wasn’t looking for jeans. I wanted maybe a casual dress or a nice top. But they seemed lacking in variety/inventory as well. Plus, the stores are really pushing fall/winter wear. It’s AZ for crying out loud! Still over 90 degrees outside.
I grabbed a couple dresses, one with a flowery print and a jean jacket, the other a jean dress.
I roll my sleeping baby towards the fitting rooms. The young skinny girl asks “are we shopping for anything special?” to which I hesitantly reply “well, my husband and I are going out for a date tomorrow, one of the few times since I had the baby”. I hate calling it a “date night”. Just feel so silly.
She looks over my selections and says “and this is what you picked?” There was more than a hint of judgy-ness in her tone. I tell her that it’s not like we are doing anything fancy. My husband doesn’t wear pants. Ever. He’s very casual.
So, right off the bat, I am second guessing my selections. Then of course I am able to find everything wrong with them. The fit is off, the sleeves too puffy, the hem too uneven. I’m standing there wearing a silly floral dress with my white ankle socks still on from my tennies I were to work and I feel just plain dumb. I hate shopping. Well, I love shopping, I hate shopping with a purpose.
The young skinny girl is back. She keeps calling me Melody, which I never bother to correct. She has selected an outfit for me. It is a green dress with a grey sweater with green tinted jewels/beads around the neckline.
2 things wrong – it’s a sweater. Too dang hot to wear a sweater outside. 2nd, it was more than I wanted to spend.
Plus it was a large and I may be the heaviest I’ve ever been but I am not a large. And it was too dressy.
I guess that’s 4 things wrong.
The color was lovely and it would have looked great on me in the right size and the right occasion.
Now I’m in the dressing room pouting. I get dressed and hand the young skinny girl the clothes with a sad shake of the head and off I go.
On my route out, I take a small detour by the jeans. I don’t need any. I just got a pair at Target that is fabulous. But I like to look. The sales girl that handles this department swings over as I am taking a peak at the skinny jeans (which by the way, I tried a pair at Target – no thank you. I’ve owned straight legged tight jeans before, but these skinny jeans at Target were a whole other beast). I wasn’t going to buy these skinny things or even try them on. I was just looking. But once again, I got judged. She looked me over (even though she has a very similar shape) and asked me what style I normally wear. I currently had on a pair of boot cut so she basically dragged me to that side of the wall. Ok, no biggie. Then she pointed out the pants that have a higher waist to help pull things in and accentuate the curves in the right places.
I know I still have that extra roll of flesh from my giant baby tummy. I’m working on it. But thanks for pointing it out, CR salesgirl.
Disheartened, but still wanting to let Gem sleep, I popped into Wet Seal. I haven’t been able to find anything in this store since I was a 19 year old size 2. Nothing ever fits right, or covers what needs to be covered.
Things aren’t looking good. Then I spot it. On the clearance rack, there is a beige shirt with blue stripes and a flower thingy with sparklies on it. Not fabulous but I liked it. And it was cheap.
As I made my purchase, sweet Gem woke up from her hour long stroller nap. Just in time to get lots of attention from the girls working at the store.
In the end, I suppose it could be considered a waste of time. The shirt was ok. I still think it would have looked better on someone taller/thinner/younger. But Lincoln said I looked very nice. And we had a fun time. And Gem enjoyed the mall and her nap.
My brother and his wife and their almost-nine-month old daughter Vivia met up with us. Gem shared her snacks with her cousin and her tricks with her aunt and uncle. They left and Gem instantly crashed out her in stroller. I didn’t want to interrupt her nap so I wander around and looked at clothes.
Lincoln and I had made plans to go out for dinner and a movie on Saturday so I thought I might check out the clearance racks and get something new to wear. I like seeing the new trends on people but whenever I try them on I think I look like a fool. It’s always “if I was taller/thinner/younger”.
I’ve seen plenty of petite, curvy non-teenagers wear and rock plenty of the latest styles. But I just can’t do it yet. I feel stuck in between.
I tried Forever 21. They have way too many things crammed in that place, with practically no rhyme or reason to the layout. Plus, they music is waaayyy too loud. I’m shopping, not clubbing. Man, I am old. I’m amazed Gem managed to sleep through all that.
I tried Buckle. Good grief, those clothes are over-priced. I like their jeans, but for a simple shirt it was at least $30. And their “clearance” section, the sign said $5-$8. But once you got close enough, it really read $5-$8 off. Nope.
Then I wandered into American Eagle. I used to love their clothes my first few years at ASU. Comfy casual but still nice. Not sure what happened but they seemed really bare. They had practically nothing. Their clearance rack consisted of either size 12 or size 00.
I stopped in Charlotte Russe. 99% of the time I like their clothes. And 50% of the time the clothes like me back. Their denim is inexpensive and covers a range of sizes. But I wasn’t looking for jeans. I wanted maybe a casual dress or a nice top. But they seemed lacking in variety/inventory as well. Plus, the stores are really pushing fall/winter wear. It’s AZ for crying out loud! Still over 90 degrees outside.
I grabbed a couple dresses, one with a flowery print and a jean jacket, the other a jean dress.
I roll my sleeping baby towards the fitting rooms. The young skinny girl asks “are we shopping for anything special?” to which I hesitantly reply “well, my husband and I are going out for a date tomorrow, one of the few times since I had the baby”. I hate calling it a “date night”. Just feel so silly.
She looks over my selections and says “and this is what you picked?” There was more than a hint of judgy-ness in her tone. I tell her that it’s not like we are doing anything fancy. My husband doesn’t wear pants. Ever. He’s very casual.
So, right off the bat, I am second guessing my selections. Then of course I am able to find everything wrong with them. The fit is off, the sleeves too puffy, the hem too uneven. I’m standing there wearing a silly floral dress with my white ankle socks still on from my tennies I were to work and I feel just plain dumb. I hate shopping. Well, I love shopping, I hate shopping with a purpose.
The young skinny girl is back. She keeps calling me Melody, which I never bother to correct. She has selected an outfit for me. It is a green dress with a grey sweater with green tinted jewels/beads around the neckline.
2 things wrong – it’s a sweater. Too dang hot to wear a sweater outside. 2nd, it was more than I wanted to spend.
Plus it was a large and I may be the heaviest I’ve ever been but I am not a large. And it was too dressy.
I guess that’s 4 things wrong.
The color was lovely and it would have looked great on me in the right size and the right occasion.
Now I’m in the dressing room pouting. I get dressed and hand the young skinny girl the clothes with a sad shake of the head and off I go.
On my route out, I take a small detour by the jeans. I don’t need any. I just got a pair at Target that is fabulous. But I like to look. The sales girl that handles this department swings over as I am taking a peak at the skinny jeans (which by the way, I tried a pair at Target – no thank you. I’ve owned straight legged tight jeans before, but these skinny jeans at Target were a whole other beast). I wasn’t going to buy these skinny things or even try them on. I was just looking. But once again, I got judged. She looked me over (even though she has a very similar shape) and asked me what style I normally wear. I currently had on a pair of boot cut so she basically dragged me to that side of the wall. Ok, no biggie. Then she pointed out the pants that have a higher waist to help pull things in and accentuate the curves in the right places.
I know I still have that extra roll of flesh from my giant baby tummy. I’m working on it. But thanks for pointing it out, CR salesgirl.
Disheartened, but still wanting to let Gem sleep, I popped into Wet Seal. I haven’t been able to find anything in this store since I was a 19 year old size 2. Nothing ever fits right, or covers what needs to be covered.
Things aren’t looking good. Then I spot it. On the clearance rack, there is a beige shirt with blue stripes and a flower thingy with sparklies on it. Not fabulous but I liked it. And it was cheap.
As I made my purchase, sweet Gem woke up from her hour long stroller nap. Just in time to get lots of attention from the girls working at the store.
In the end, I suppose it could be considered a waste of time. The shirt was ok. I still think it would have looked better on someone taller/thinner/younger. But Lincoln said I looked very nice. And we had a fun time. And Gem enjoyed the mall and her nap.
2 comments:
thanks for the detailed shopping journey. I was sure you were going to grant us a picture of the shirt at the end. And then nothing.
I love your haircut
Post a Comment